Sunday, January 19, 2014

Inspire, Motivate, and Encourage


After looking through the various leadership techniques and models, I was able to relate most to the Transformational Leadership Model. What I like most about this model, is that you can inspire positive changes in those who follow. When googling this model, I found that "transformational leaders are generally energetic, enthusiastic, and passionate. Not only are these leaders concerned and involved in the process; they are also focused on helping every member of the group succeed as well." on About.com. I knew right away after reading this that this model applies to my life.


So how does this model apply to my life? Well, as an athlete I have found it necessary to inspire my teammates around me. Rowing is not an easy sport. It is a mental game that requires a positive attitude in order to succeed. In high school, I was on a team with an absolutely crazy coach that over trained us. To make the training more tolerable, I knew that I had to stay positive and think of all of the benefits to our intense practices. I often cracked jokes before test pieces and reminded my team to view this as a workout rather than a test. By having a positive attitude at practice, my teammates found it easier to push themselves and to make it through the days that we dreaded (such as 6k Mondays). As a team, we focused on making sure that ever person improved. We were always there for each other, especially when times were tough. 


Not only has this model been found in the athletic part of my life, but I have seen this at school and even at home. At school, I have always made an effort to be creative with what ever projects I have at hand. When working in groups, I am always there to motivate people and bring excitement to what ever I am working on. For example, this year my CTW class had to turn in a learning log at the end of the fall quarter. My teacher gave us the option of writing a paper or creatively displaying what we had learned. I immediately knew that I had to make something that would bring a smile to my classmates' faces. So, I teamed up with one of my friends in class and created a video (video will be up on here on Monday).  

To sum everything up, I love motivating people and encouraging them to do great things. I hope that one day I can have a job that motivates and inspires those around me. 


I love eating trail mix. All of the flavors seem to compliment one another. This can apply to the social change model. While all of the pieces are different, they come together to create something wonderful. In life, when people with different views, ideas, and personalities come together great things are created. That is why trail mix reminds me of the social change model we discussed in class.


3 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to your post Brittany! Lots of times, my coach on Bars would get really intense and the only thing we could do to make the situation better was joke around a little to lighten the mood. I picked this model too and what I liked about it was that it focuses on having everyone improve, just like you said. Also, loved the trail mix analogy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your example Brittany. I can see how transforming a tough situation into a positive experience can really help on a team. I also like the fact that your leadership involves doing the work with your teammates. I think this is really important to show them your with them. This is a great leadership strategy to apply to teams, but I like how you expanded it to you CTW class as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trail mix = social change model... YES! You make a great connection with trail mix and how each individual piece works together to create a delicious flavor. Athletics is directly related to transformational leadership. As a soccer player, I understand that each player on the team needs to be a their best and that requires support and development from each teammate.

    ReplyDelete