Sunday, February 9, 2014

Chasing those Dreams

My life is one big commitment. Everyday, I find myself committing to my academics, my team, my friends, my family, my passions, and myself. While my life often feels hectic and busy, I love it this way. By committing to everything that I enjoy and love, I have found a sense of fulfillment in my life. 

(found this chart to be very helpful)

So where in the world am I going with all of this? To be honest, I really don't know. So let's talk about my values and how those values create congruence with myself and my commitments.

For starters, I am a huge family person. Since before I can even remember, my family has always come first in my life. I will always love and cherish the wonderful people that I was blessed to grow up with. One person that I am especially thankful for is my mom. In fact, my mom is and always has been my most valued relationship. As a child, I was always inspired by the determination and strength she possessed. She never gave up on anything, ever. Whenever I felt sad or afraid, she was always there to cheer me up and push me to conquer my fears. Most importantly, my mom always pushed me to do my best in everything I do and to always believe in myself.


Being 2,000 miles away from home has not changed my values. In fact, my values have only been strengthened. By living in a foreign place, I have discovered more of who I am and what I stand for. One of the most important things I have learned since coming here is to never give up on my dreams. No matter how daunting those dreams may be, you just need to stick with them. 

During these past few months, I have had moments of doubt. I have often found these questions forming in my mind. Do I really have what it takes to get where I want to go? Do I really want the path that I have chosen to take? 

Despite having these doubts in the back of my mind, I have found that by reminding myself of my values and surrounding myself with positivity, I have been able to overcome my doubts. One of may favorite quotes is by Walt Disney, in that quote he says that "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." I agree 100% with this quote. We cannot reach our dreams in life without risking failure. Sometimes we must fail a few times before we succeed. With that said, I am able to remain congruent with myself through my values and belief in myself. 

3 comments:

  1. Brittany, thanks for the honest and thoughtful blog post. I've never seen that chart before, but it's interesting at how it reflects on what seem like levels of requirement to actually things we personally commit to. While it can be a struggle to have moments of doubts about our dreams, I think they are so crucial because they require us to make the decision to recommit to our dreams or modify them to become achievable. Just like any strong friendship or relationship with your family, there is conflict that happens which, in overcoming, strengthens our commitment to that relationship. Keep dreaming and, to reinforce your quote, always have courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the fact that you recognize that doubts can strengthen your values. It is definitely a result of living in a challenging environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that courage is so important in achieving any kind of goal. I like that you acknowledge the conflict that can arise between our different commitments, but that it is still important to stay true to our most core values.

    ReplyDelete