Sunday, February 2, 2014

This Is Your Life.

Try something new. 
This is something that I have always made a very large effort to do, since I was a child. I always made an effort to try new foods, make new friends, try new sports and activities, read new books, and even to see new places.  By trying new things, I have found life to be more interesting and fulfilling.

When looking for a video on Ted Talks, I was immediately drawn to the video posted above. Stepping outside of my comfort zone is something that I truly value. By stepping out of my comfort zone, I have encountered life experiences that I would never have experience before. In fact, without stepping outside of my comfort zone, I would not be here at SCU. Leaving my home to go to a college that's 2,000 miles away was not exactly easy, but I am so glad that I pushed myself to do it!

Another Ted Talk that I really enjoyed watching was this talk on the difference between winning and succeeding. I found this video very interesting and prevalent to my life as a student and as an athlete. As a student, I am often pushed to succeed and in athletics I am told to win. Another aspect of this video I really liked was his advice. He discussed the importance of being on time, not using profanity, being neat and clean, and realizing that winning does not always mean succeeding. My favorite part of this talk was when he quoted his father saying "don't whine, don't complain, don't make excuses, just get out there and what ever you're doing, do it to the best of your ability". This really stuck with me. Life isn't always easy. Rather than kicking and screaming about things not going your way, stop and just make what you can with what you have. This is something that I try my best to live my life by. 

So how in the world does any of this have to do with congruence. Well, these are two values that I try to live by. By trying something new, I am able to use my courage and strength to step into the unknown. As a student and an athlete, I must keep a positive attitude. By making the best of every situation, I can achieve great things. With the courage to try new things, I can experience great things and make new discoveries, something that no one else can do for you. By staying positive, I can control my outlook on life. Life is more enjoyable when you don't focus on the negatives. With that said, remember something. This is your life. How do you want to spend your life?


3 comments:

  1. I love your message and belief in always trying new things. It definitely provides for a one of a kind experience in all matters of life. I used to never try new things because I was too afraid to put myself out there, but in high school I changed my perspective and realized that some of my best memories come from doing something different. I also really like your background :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You present a great message Brittany; trying new things is an attitude and a why of life that presents those who truly live like this encounter great expereinces. Like yourself, I have tried to step outside my comfort zone and have meet great people and had wonderful experiences. Making the most out of situations can be difficult at times, but keeping that mindset can lead to good things.

    ReplyDelete